Sunday, 16 January 2011

from the comments - Robert

We've received many incredibly comments left on entries on this blog.  People sharing their stories and reaching out.  I'm reposting some of them on the blog because they deserve attention too.  I'd like to thank everyone who has commented.

Robert
I am very concerned regarding the Coaliton governments haste in "railroading" the reform/abolition of DLA, and the massive impact that it will have on the most disabled/vulnerable people in society. In my opinion the decisions are not about protecting the most sick both physically and mentally, but subjecting them to further humiliation by making them "prove" their illnesses over and over again. as if we don't feel worthless enough.the governments goal is not about looking after the disabled but target driven to DENY this vital benefit to as many claimants as possible, and drive them into poverty and despair and even suicide.
I am a 48 year old male who has severe Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS) and Psoriatic Arthritis (Psa). I managed to keep a full time job up until i was 42 years of age, but not without the help of workmates who helped me and carried me, In truth i should have finished work earlier but didn't wan't to lose the friendship/ feeling of being needed/ reason for living, so i carried on for far too long. my illness cost me my job,my wife,my home, and i have been told by doctors i will never work again. i dream at nights that i still have a job and am back in my old job, but the reality sets in when i wake up.
in 2004 the pain/ discomfort in my spine/ribs/joints became too much to carry on working. i miss my job, the friendship and a reason to get up in the morning.
My spine is now fused in a bent forward stoop and i cannot look up or left to right. my ribs and chest are affected also and i struggle to breath in or out due to loss of chest expansion. my hips, shoulder, wrists, knees and ankles are also affected and it is painful to walk on the soles of my feet, and i am in constant pain.I am under a consultant Rheumatologist and Dermatologist, who monitor my condition regularly, and i attend regular hospital appointments every six weeks for infusions of a new biologic drug Infliximab.
I suffer from severe fatigue/tiredness and also uveitis/iritis which affects my eyesight and if not treated immediately can be serious. I sruggle day to day and my DLA gives me my independance, my dignity, and i am able to get by and purchase all the extra things that having a disability brings, and what able bodied people would never realise. Mr Cameron,i thought that you of all people would understand because of your late son Ivan, the hardships that disabled people have to cope with everyday, but you have turned your back. shame on you. 
The way i see it is "if you take away my DLA" you should "take my disability too" as they go together..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.