Please note: This video is particularly distressing to watch. It is an individual's honest representation of Britain's secret shame.
"Any society, any nation, is judged on the basis of how it treats its weakest members ; the last, the least, the littlest."
This is the effect of doing something on a pretty good day I used to take in my stride, if I had sat about doing very little finding things to keep me occupied that don't involve physical effort I would not have become so out of breath that an hour or so later is causing shakiness and the aches are setting in. This is how many of the the governments benefit scroungers live, choices of living in filth or days when it is possible doing a tiny bit here and there which is massive to the person doing it.
I am SOOOO glad to see this here.
ReplyDeleteThis is my friend. My cyber-friend.
When I was sick in hospital and miserably blue, she sang me a song and put it on YouTube for me.
It was possibly the nicest, most thoughtful thing anyone had ever done for me, let alone someone I've never met in the flesh.
She is supportive, insightful, wise and funny.
When she sent me this today, I was so shocked, so shaken. Even me and write this stuff all the time.
Look at what we do FFS! Would you just look at how we treat "the most vulnerable in society"
*sob*
I've followed her videos for a while and I am utterly stunned and shocked not just at her condition but also the state of her house; holes in the ceiling, peeling wallpaper, mould in the groutwork (and considering she is asthmatic, surely even the completely clueless should be able to figure out it's the worst place for her to be living in?)
ReplyDeleteI'm appalled and angry...yet very glad this is here. It's not easy to watch, but that's rather the point: we can shut the video off, but it's her life.
I find this very moving & sad.I have added it to my blog.How any government can allow people to suffer under these conditions is beyond human comprehension."We are all in this together" has a very shallow ring to it.
ReplyDeleteI'm looking for the 'like' buttons!
ReplyDeleteSue you touched me deeply as you are so like me in so many ways...I recognise your amazing grace and although I feel a little hesitant to say it I recognise my own, the amazing grace so many of us do shine out when we are in so much more pain than is reasonably acceptable and still find a smile and love in our hearts for all others...does that make sense?
HUGS X
Oya's Daughter...thank you, environmental health didn't seem to think it was a problem and as it is my house it is my responsibility, they recommended I ask my son if he has any friends doing the plumbing course and to get a friend on the roof to fix the tiles. There are no easy answers but DIY SOS is my best chance, even a doctor told me I should get them in, if only it were that easy...and I have been nominated by 2 people I know of...I did try to sell to avoid going through the process of having to claim benefits I knew what a nightmare it would be but it fell through. I also rather like the idea of keeping my own private place to live and selling it if I could would only solve my problems a while but I may be fit enough to earn money...
Will thank you :o)
http://bit.ly/gc27dD Paralysed man told he's fit for work
ReplyDeletehttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-12206652
ReplyDeleteCancer victim stripped of benefit
Lainey; I'm so sad, sorry and shamed that you are forced to live the way you currently are. Is there anything we at BofB can do to help support you? BG Xx
ReplyDeleteI really don't know hon, I'm a bit weary of the process of getting help at the moment as well...smiles
ReplyDeleteI was looking at the videos I did on November 23rd, which was when i cut the carpet up. It was the day after the visit from a new befriender from WRVS, which had been pretty traumatic and completely exhausting. She'd pointed out that being in the house was making her mild asthma start to flair up and that the wall was indeed damp in the corner. I was also noticing how much mess was in exactly the same place now as it was then. This befriender was offering to help me with shopping and when i was able to clear bits of the house and clean up. I felt it may be quite challenging working with her but I was quite looking forward to it. *Working = sitting while she does things if I am not up to doing much, which can be as distressing and exhausting as not having help. She never came again.
In the new year I was dealing with having the tribunal postponed to give me a better chance with CAB representation and support. The visit from the lady from CAB was both traumatic and very comforting, she treats me as a human being and is a beautiful soul. I feel more confident I stand a chance at tribunal with her by my side. It is not easy living with that hanging over me for the past 7 months. It is making me more determined to not let this kill me. I could have let other things defeat me, I made peace with them. It is hard to make peace with such an uncertain future.
ReplyDeleteIf I could and I sold the house that would cause me huge difficulty and stress, living in it the way it is isn't easy but I appreciate I have my haven and that I haven't lost it, which could happen. I have 5 years before I am 'safe' there! When I focus on the problems I could get very upset and start worrying again, what do i do, what do i do? But at the moment i am trying to work up the right feeling I need to go to the doctors again. I need to pick up the letter from my doctor, which lists my symptoms and will cost me £37.50 or something like that. I am not sure if he really wrote something that anywhere describes how I am not just being lazy! After all everyone knows chronic fatigue is a really lazy persons excuse ;o)
Actually virtually all people i have met with it were driven people who pushed themselves very hard and were ambitious and have had to learn great patience to limit themselves from doing too much and totally wiping themselves out for days which may then drag as feeding self in that time is incredibly problematic and then if an infection comes oh dear you are not very prepared and will be going hungry a while. Then the often painfully slow rebuild to try and bring the weakness back to able to sit about rather than lie about.
I still can't bring myself to talk to befriender number 3 having met befriender 2 who was an elderly lady and maybe I was being ageist or maybe it was a certain way of her that prevented me asking for the same kind of help that befriender no 1 was offering and simply saying shopping. She said that just shopping was not really enough to drive 45 miles for, although I thought 45 miles was a bit of a long way to send someone. No 1 would have been her first time befriending experience, I think I overwhelmed her. They decided someone more experienced may be the ticket so No 2. I didn't think to mention that prescription getting and maybe doctor taking may be very welcome too, help with sorting out the nebuliser which needs servicing could also be in the spectrum of shopping.
I just lost lots of writing too long comments!
ReplyDeleteI also don't get to see anybody every week, so it would be nice to have that but it needs to be someone I look forward to seeing or I would prefer to see no one at all. No 3 is an elderly gent and sounds lovely but they didn't tell him I am not good in the morning and he started ringing at 10am, I ignored the phone, I can't always cope with talking on the phone. Lovely lady in Mind on Friday at the befriending group rang him and told him I would call back when i am feeling a little better as i have been overwhelmed. It was hard for me to ask her to do that for me but glad I did. I didn't want to appear rude but I couldn't deal with it.
I like to think of myself as fine and on top of things! I am on top of a pile of paperwork and rubble with leaks and badly managed house maintenance. I am teetering and it often feels like I am falling. I know I can do better but a bit of appropriate, informed support would go down so well and help me do better. Neither No 1 or 2 were told I have a dog, neither of them were good with dogs.
I love what I said in the video Nov about how I felt triumphant and defeated at the same time. I am managing damn well for the difficulties i have, if I was just lazy it would be 'a bad show all round old chap.' I am quite capable of a lot of things, given half a chance.
Yeah petition for DIY SOS to come and sort me out and tell them they would need to help me pack to move my stuff into storage while it was being done, cos although it is very scattered i still know where most things are....there needs to be things thrown out during packing and ONLY I know what needs to be kept! Although as long as they were not going to throw anything out and stuff was somehow going to end up in the art room and in proper places maybe I could let go of the fear of not being able to find what I want when i want it! I've already lost some things so discovering new places that things are tidy would be marvellous....lol...I think they would shirk at the challenge! I'm too hard to help...bugger!
I just lost a load of writing....think I can remember what I said think I may do a blog...
ReplyDeleteoh I didn't it lied!!!!!yippee!
ReplyDeleteah small joys can bring smiles :oD x
Thanks for posting this brief 7 min window into your life - have clicked my way over here through various links. Will be attending the protests tomorrow in London with a friend.
ReplyDeletePersonally, although I have a mental illness, I do not receive the DLA. I am aware of the dangers of my psychosis worsening, however, and am hoping that I retain my current ability to think rationally. While I'm in a good patch though (like now), I will take advantage of my ability to get out of the house and attend the protests!
Thank you so much for providing me motivation.
Thank you Helen, I have only just seen your comment after looking again for the link for this. How did the protest go? I hope you are still doing well. Bless you, glad you found motivation from this. I was really quite nervous of sharing this but it seems that I was right to...smiles
ReplyDelete