Welcome to One Month Before Heartbreak. My name is Emma Crees, I'm part of The Broken of Britain team and One Month Before Heartbreak was my idea.
The idea is that we all have stories to share about what being disabled means to us. And how we could be affected by the cuts. If we all share them at once we can make more of a splash.
Starting at 7 am tomorrow morning we will have things posting on this blog at 30 minute intervals so please check back regularly. We have images, video, music, and poetry about disability and the cuts waiting to be shared. And lots of personal stories. I can't wait to see what else will come.
We will be adding things to this blog as we receive them but they will go in the queue to be posted so won't post immediately. There will also be a list of links. Submissions can come via comments here, be e-mailed to TheBrokenOfBritain@gmail.com. Or through twitter - either @BrokenofBritain or to me personally @FunkyFairy22 Equally if you have any questions or comments or offers of help those are the contact details to use.
Please bear in mind that I have a disability and so do all of my back up crew for this project. There may be times when we need to take a break or rest unexpectedly (this is part of the reason we have been using the schedule feature in advance) and can't respond quickly.
Most of all enjoy it - and thank you for taking the time to be a part of this.
Just wrote my entry, please feel free to link it here:
ReplyDeletehttp://gardenforautism.blogspot.com/2011/01/sticking-head-into-sand-is-not-option.html
I wholly support this action - keep up the good work!
ReplyDeletenice to see some form of protest though will this wicked heartless goverment listen i am fe dup of reading how we are all shirkers and all of us branded anything from idle to scrongers lets mak eour voices heard before its to late
ReplyDeleteI am fully in support of this protest. I am just about to get ready to go to work. It is the 'shameless' in our society that have given the disabled a bad name.
ReplyDeleteWe need to support this protest all the talk of these changes is detremental to our health as if we don't struggle enough so come on sign.
ReplyDeleteboth my wife and myself are disabled but luckily i still have a job .just managed to overturn a 26 week warning for being of work with broken collar bone and shoulderblade (osteoporosis).
ReplyDeletethey will stop my salary if i am off again.
this govrernment do not care for for anybody but the rich.
good luck with the campaign.
Murdy & margaret
The government are rich, spoiled, privileged public schoolboys who have no idea what it is like to live in the real world, let alone struggle to live with a debilitating illness or disability. The propaganda they use is to try and make everyone believe that every one in receipt of benefits are work shy lazy individuals. They will not take notice of any protest, look at the poor students. As a disabled person who is unable to work I fear what the future holds in store for me with this present government. They are taking from the poorest whilst giving to the richest
ReplyDeleteI completely support this protest. The Government are craftily opting for a unacceptable alternative to push the disabled people of this country into poverty and for us to be treated as if we don't count which is obvious that we don't to the conscienceless decision makers. We don't want reform of this nature which to my mind will cause hardship and lead to more health defects. I have worked in this society for over 40 years paying full taxes throughout. I expect, along with others with disability to be given the opportunity to live in this society with dignity, I have paid into this unfair society and been kicked in the teeth by your unfair assessors and decision makers. I also urge you to please check on those who lie about their illness as there are plenty where I live who are taking good money from ones who are sick like myself who are still fighting for help. This is a disgusting and appalling situation. I put this question to David Cameron, you would not like your children to live below the poverty line? then don't EXPECT us to do so.
ReplyDeleteI throw my support against this campaign, I live in hope that it will do som good.
ReplyDeleteMichael, Lowestoft
It took me 10 years to prove to the benefits system that I genuinely needed this benefit and now all the con-libs want to do is take it away to say they've got rid of the scammers. The fact is the scammers have the energy and means to fiddle the system, find out exactly what to put on the forms and what needs to be said at the interviews whilst the genuinely ill people don't and make mistakes like saying "I'm in terrible pain 'almost' all the time" That's you out. I've known people in desperate circumstances who've said that and been denied without the strength mentally to appeal. 'Proving' how ill you are again and again is a horrible thing to do and scars you mentally I can assure you. They awarded me DLA for life and now they want to put myself and thousands of others who have already been assessed through all that again. DLA pays for all the things it is provided for and without it I shall be in dire straits. Don't pull the rug out from under the disabled.
ReplyDeleteMichelle- Manchester
I agree. Richards comments are spot on. Ive been throught the mill with my health issues and its the people who are most vulnerable who get penalised and punished for the greed and corruption of those who expoit and manipulate by stealing money meant for the needy. You only have to look at Bankers bonuses, NHS managers salaries (we never needed managers anyhow before when the hospitals DID run properly!) corrupt Councils who mis-spend whilst awarding themselves huge saslaries at the top again, also the REAL tax evaders who stash away millions and billions offshore etc, all these the government ALLOW to steal from us! I have lost faith totally in this big brother corrupt state we now live in, there is no justice any more either.
ReplyDeleteShirley says:
ReplyDeleteyou would have thought that David Cameron's experience of a severley disabled child would have made him sympathetic to the problems faced by the disabled. However, any decency left in the man has clearly been submerged by callous attitudes of the rest of the cabinet, insulated by their wealth and priviledge.
I totally agree with all the previous comments !what this government are doing is making the poor poorer and the rich richer ! they are taking our civil rights away ! Mr Cameron is and his merry men bring to mind robin hood only the other way round rob the poor to give to the rich ! I did not ask to be disabled ? Cameron should come and live the life we do for a month and see if that changes his views? I support this campaign 100 per cent !Cameron did not even have the balls to come out and say anything about the Oldham by elections in which they [the Tories ] failed miserably need I say any more ?it shows the contempt he has for the people?
ReplyDeleteI was amazed to here David Cameron comment on the difficulties he had filling in a DLA form for his disabled son, did he really think he needed the money when his wife is a multi millionaire.........
ReplyDeleteI have worked in Social Care (a full Tax Payer) for 30yrs supporting those in reciept of Benefits due to all forms of Disease and Disability. I now find myself in a position of having been Medically Retired recently due to a Debilitating Disease. I miss working and how i would turn the tables around if i could. Being in a position of supporting people with a Disability, I was more than aware of the difficulties, stressess and anxieties in coping with or adjusting to the Disease and/or the Disability but also day to day living and in dealing with the Benefit System.I tried to support and empathize with people as much as i could in dealing with all these situations.
ReplyDeleteI now find myself in this very same situation Nothing in this world prepares you for the Emotional Rollercoaster in dealing with the Changes in you as a Person a Human Being when a Disability or a Disease affects you.
The things we take for granted every single day in the way we live,the choices we make and the decions we take alter forever. We no longer have control of our lives .... there is the Disease, the Disability. We can make certain changes and adjustments to a certain degree but that is often allowed by the financial support we are given by our Benefits. Are we to lose this too?
For me personally, i would on an Emotional level like to continue contributing to society but Physically i am very restricted....Frustrating!
There was never a truer word said when the sayings came around "you just never know what lies ahead of you" or " you never know what is just around the corner".
Don't Take Away anymore than what we have lost already. Most of us have already been to Hell and Back just trying to recieve a Benefit that will enable us to gain back a little of the Independence that we initially lost.
There are many people who do use and abuse the system and it is many of those people that society views as 'Scroungers' and unfortunatley we all seem to get mixed in one big bag!
To those in Government 'Deal with it' thats what you get paid for. We are being used as scapegoats, take the bull by the horns, you know who these people are...sort it out!
We have been through enough.
Gwen, Edinburgh
I think the campaign is fantastic, I am fed up with seeing students riots about there funding i know they have a grievence about there funding, I just wish the government would look at the disability benefit section with people who have an understanding how we feel do they really think we enjoy living are lives on a benefit, My husband has never been ill before i have been the one with the problem spine. He had sepsis last may and his life was turned inside out, he was in hospital twice he now has been diagnosed with ME. He has been put on the ESA list which has no idea how a person with an illness will feel. I would like to sit down with David Cameron and ask why he will let the system penalise my husband for working all his life and now he is treated very badly buy the system. We all know that the system has been abused but surely people who are genuine and dont fight back are crossed of the list as another one gone. where is the government disability minister have they looked at any disability problems themselves or did they get the job because they were there at the right time.we all know that the last government made a hell of a mess but do the vunerable people always have to suffer for there mistakes.
ReplyDeleteMr Cameron come and have tea with me and see real life.
Let's not return back to the "Dark Days".
ReplyDeleteI wholly support this action - keep up the good work!
i hope the people who are taking the heart out of this country never have to suffer the indignity of being ill and disabled or watch a loved one suffer,or am i being too unrealistic in thinking they would CARE
ReplyDeletePLEASE don't take our DLA
ReplyDeleteNot everyone is work shy
I worked from leaving school. At the age of 22 I had mental breakdown, It was a real struggle but I still worked for a further 5 years but my illness because too much I had to leave my job.
Ater claiming benefits for 6 years. I thought I was feeling better & was delighted I got a job after not working for so long, my confidence started to build and I did enjoy the job particular the driving. But someone took a dislike to me & made out I was making mistakes which i wasn't at the time & making it look like I could not do my job properly.
This really affected my mental health. I was so bad with my nerves I crashed the works van. I told my boss about being bullied he said I had to confront this person myself & said in so many words it would be me he would be sacking if it came down to it. The very next day I was sacked the reason he give me I wasn't committed to the job. Yet I was working 12 hours days & worked through Xmas that year.
I took this so badly I had a serious breakdown & nearly committed suicide. I am still not right today & that was 6 years ago. Isn't it bad enough what I have been through & having to fight for the money I am entitled to, particularly having to go through the medicals where your made out to be a liar, & are really degrading & make yr health worse.
I hate being like this, it took me 6 months to go to the doctors as i was so ashamed & it took years for me to tell anyone other than my doctor that i was ill. If I had the choice I would be well & working but cant help being like this. please don't make please with disabilities suffer anymore.Regards Debz
I have just read the governments/dwp/s replacement for dla called pip (personal independent payment) and i would advise anyone on dla to read it.It is just another way of getting people off benefits,and it will.Everyone aged from 16-64 will be re-asessed starting in 2013 even if you have been awarded dla for an indefinate period,it wont matter what your disability is they are going to make it harder to get it or stay on it. As usual the government says its to bring the benefit system into the 21st century,what a laugh !
ReplyDeleteThe government allows the rich to get away without paying taxes to the tune of 100 billion but what do they do to save money? attack the disabled.
I wish every mp and minister got a disabiity they had to live with on a daily basis and make sure they had no other money to survive on and we would see how long they last.
I spent 2 years fighting the dwp/atos for dla and eventualy won but come 2013 i bet i will have to start all over again.I got my award for an indefinate period but i now know i will have to go through it all again.
I hope when the changes come people dont accept what the dwp/atos tells them when they have their benefits changed or cancelled and take the fight to them.
Best of luck
George
Keep up the excellent work on this site. The government need to realise that all people and their opinions matter.
ReplyDeleteDLA is a vital life line to so many myself included. I am a working single parent to a disabled child.DLA enables me to pay for somebody to sit with my son when he is unable to sleep and wants to stay up all night ,so that I may sleep and go to work the next day to support my family without it I would have to give up work and live off benefits something I dont want to do. Why do the Government not target dead beat Dad's who abandon their children rather than on picking defenceless people.
Mr Cameron and his cronies should hang their over paid heads in shame.
I have a hidden disability and for the first time since diagnosis, I have been given high mobility and mid care indefinately. I don't know how the change will affect payments for me. If they are stopped, I will be totally housebound. I have a motability car which if I lost my DLA I would lose the car. I cannot work, I cannot guarantee that I can turn up regularly, and if I do turn up I cant guarantee that I can stay all day or even for an hour or more. I take medication that has side effects, which means I can't do as much as I want to. I can't even take a short walk. DLA is vital to me, without it I would not be able to be part of the human race. This government needs to understand that disabled people are voters too. They can't attack us the way they are doing.
ReplyDeleteI've just published my first ever blog and have chosen the ombh blogswarm as the time to do it. You can read it at http://collectedwalk.blogspot.com/2011/01/modest-proposal-walking-mile-in.html
ReplyDeleteI'm now off to put a link to it on my Facebook page and then I'll settle down to read some of the other participants pieces.
The blogswarm is a brilliant idea - lets hope ALL the campaigns against the cuts and cuts-disguised-as-improvements are as successful!
Peace and noodles xxxJade
I honestly cannot believe what is happening with Disabled benefits. Are they trying to kill us all? Or just make us feel totally useless by cutting our means of living too!
ReplyDeleteVery concerned disabled person
xxxLynne
I cannot believe that this goverment is wasting
ReplyDeletemoney by putting every one on DLA through all the tests again when it has been proven by consultants and Doctors the problems you have.
I have 8 disieses, and am ill enough without going through all the tests again.
My son who was born with club feet,then had a tumor in his spine when he was 14 and had 2 major surgeries on his back as well as ops on his feet.He also has mental problems and is under apsychiatrist ,he suffers from panic attacks and has paranoia.The mental problem came
through all his pysical problems,he also has astmah and gets pericarditis .He has had it a few times.But once you get it in can reaccur.
I dont know how they can throw cash away when the tests my son and my self were harder enough
when we got passed for the high rate of mobility.
Very concerned Mary
I'm my Mum's Primary Carer, I have severe osteoarthritis in my L hip and not so bad OA in my R leg. My mum's got Alzheimer's. The DWP refused to accept the decision of the appeal board in June of last year because they decided it was a new claim. Even though they paid all my money backdated to september 2009. Enough to cover my overdraft and take on the household bills for a month or so to take the pressure off my mum's pension.
ReplyDeleteFinally they have realised that they were trying to squeeze through a non existent loop-hole. It's all sorted now but I like how the lady said I would be getting my payments backdated. She said in an almost accusatory tone "Well how have you been supporting yourself since April (This was now July) I asked her why she was so concerned about that now and no one had shown any concern before? I told her that I used up my £1000 overdraft and would the DWP be paying the £1 a day bank changes I have incurred because of the DWP's deliberate attempts to avoid paying me what was mine. Apparently they don't do that.
Nooooooo! This goverment want to kill as all, the money I receive from the DVLA it is the only thing I have to be a person.
ReplyDeleteI am 45 .Every day I wake up in pain go to bed in pain and struggle though the day at work in pain -being disabled since 2004 has not been fun ,it hurts to stand ,it hurts to sit, it hurts to lie down,my sleep is not deep due to the pain and I quickly become tired.Its also is not cheap being disabled . During the last 12 months my mobility has declined and my osteoarthritis and other conditions have worsened, it takes me 8.5 mins to go from no pain to agony when driving , nearly an hour an a half to get myself up and dressed in the morning [compared to 30mins inc breakfast 12months ago ] , I rarely go out except to work these days and usually stay in touch with friends by the internet - Just to make life bearable since September I had to buy my own up /down bed cost £1,200 ,a riser recliner heated massage chair for pain relief and to enable me to sit in my living room and be able to watch tv [as recommended by my physio ] cost £1,300, clothing with no zips and shoes with no laces £200, incontinence pads £6 a month , the physiotherapist recommend swimming- so I now pay £500 a year membership so I can use a pool after work . During the cold snap I kept dropping things I could not use a phone for example as my fingers were so stiff and painful- it cost me £350 for less breakable phone with touch screen & voice to enable me to make calls and text without using my hands . The special diet for one of my health conditions puts an extra extra £30 a week on my food bill. I could do with help for house hold chores but cant afford it on top of recent expenditure so I struggle and the trip hazards accumulate and increase my risk of falls . I pay £25 a month for a parking space at work -because I cant park further away and walk or cycle in. I'm lucky to still have a job but with cutbacks for how much longer?
ReplyDeleteDespite all the above I only just got a blue badge in January and when I apply for DLA I shall only qualify for the lower rate of mobility. My point is to qualify for DLA your life has to to already very limited by your disability and you probably already see a multitude of doctors and care professionals who can verify that you need help - to take support away from people who are already doing so much for themselves it to take away their hope and ultimately their human right to live as normal a life as possible. Cutting benefits for the long term disabled may actually increase the effect of their disability on their lives. Is this morally right in a country where we are in the G7 and the DLA bill is less than the war in Afghanistan or the banks bail out?
At 45 being disabled is not fun I wake up in pain, struggle though the day in pain ,it hurts to walk, sit, stand,lie down and drive.It's not cheap either I have spent £1,300 on a special chair that enablesme to sit in my living room & manage my pain, £200 on clothing with no zips and shoes with no laces. £1,100 for an adjustable bed to try to facilitate sleep, £500 to access a swimming pool to help keep me mobile as suggested by my physio . £6 a month on incontinence pads , £30 additional food costs on a gluten free diet for one of my medical conditions,and £350 for a special phone that is less likely to break when I drop it[a I frequently drop things and fall] and uses voice commands as my hands are useless at times. I pay £25 a month for a disabled parking space at work . It takes me 1.5 hours to get up and get dressed in the morning compared to 30 mins before I was disabled. It take me ages to walk anywhere because of my restricted mobility and the pain .
ReplyDeleteDespite all this I don't qualify for DLA because I can walk 50 ft, I do get myself dressed and I rely on the microwave and ready prepared food & salad for meals -so you have to be in a really a severe condition to be awarded DLA in the first place- to take it away from those who qualify, those who struggle to live an independent life every day is not only inequitable its criminal, an assault on their integrity having gone though a lengthy process to claim . We should all register our objections to these cutbacks - a county in the G7, that funds a war miles away in Afghanistan,that is funding the Olympics for the able bodied, that continues to bail out the banks in other counties like Ireland and bows to the whim of money markets [who gambles people lives away] and a country that allows bankers bonuses that would provide care to several disabled people for life should be able to afford to assist its disabled otherwise we really should resign from the G7 as we don't deserve to be there but part of the third world
I've been severely disabled now for 9 years and have had 5 hours of care a week. Last year Soc services reassessed and tried to cut it to 2 hours saying despite the fact I can't stand up to deal with pans or boiling water, it was quite acceptable to prepare food on the floor. I argued my case and got the 5 hours back.
ReplyDeleteLast week the council reassessed my finances (I had never had to pay before as we didn't have enough income). Now that my husband has retired and our income has dropped by 2/3 I now have to pay a massive amount towards the care- saying I have to use part of my DLA and whereas they used to disregard my husband's "earned" income they now include his pension in our income. They refused to let me cut hours to match what they will pay and if I refuse to pay this extra amount (which I can't afford) they will stop ALL payments as from Monday. I have to give my carers a week's notice but they won't pay that either. They refused to accept most of my care expenses such as the cost of having food delivered because I can't get out to shops but others because I don't get receipts from people like window cleaner, lady who does ironing, people who weed the garden for me etc. So basically they said I was lying.So as from next week I have NO care at all because I simply can't afford to pay this excess amount and despite the fact they have assessed me as needing that care..
No warning, no covering the notice period just a bland "we stop all payments for care on Monday".
I am now in a massive flare up of pain which will only get worse as I struggle to do the things I had help with.
Just down the road from me is a 91 year old man with a fractured spine; bedridden and again with no care at all because he couldn't afford the "contribution" they expect him to make. His wife is in a dementia home and he relies on neighbours to bring food which can be left cold at his bedside. Cleaning, laundry, toilet needs and bathing he is expected to see to himself.
These cuts have already badly affected my mental health, both from the loss of my carer who has been coming for 10 years and is the only person I see from outside the home and from fear of how I am going to manage plus the upset of trying to argue with them. They just don't care.
If they then start reassessing my need for DLA life simply won't be worth living. I don't get out now- what have I to look forward to?
I am very concerned regarding the Coaliton governments haste in "railroading" the reform/abolition of DLA, and the massive impact that it will have on the most disabled/vulnerable people in society. In my opinion the decisions are not about protecting the most sick both physically and mentally, but subjecting them to further humiliation by making them "prove" their illnesses over and over again. as if we don't feel worthless enough.the governments goal is not about looking after the disabled but target driven to DENY this vital benefit to as many claimants as possible, and drive them into poverty and despair and even suicide.
ReplyDeleteI am a 48 year old male who has severe Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS) and Psoriatic Arthritis (Psa). I managed to keep a full time job up until i was 42 years of age, but not without the help of workmates who helped me and carried me, In truth i should have finished work earlier but didn't wan't to lose the friendship/ feeling of being needed/ reason for living, so i carried on for far too long. my illness cost me my job,my wife,my home, and i have been told by doctors i will never work again. i dream at nights that i still have a job and am back in my old job, but the reality sets in when i wake up.
in 2004 the pain/ discomfort in my spine/ribs/joints became too much to carry on working. i miss my job, the friendship and a reason to get up in the morning.
My spine is now fused in a bent forward stoop and i cannot look up or left to right. my ribs and chest are affected also and i struggle to breath in or out due to loss of chest expansion. my hips, shoulder, wrists, knees and ankles are also affected and it is painful to walk on the soles of my feet, and i am in constant pain.I am under a consultant Rheumatologist and Dermatologist, who monitor my condition regularly, and i attend regular hospital appointments every six weeks for infusions of a new biologic drug Infliximab.
I suffer from severe fatigue/tiredness and also uveitis/iritis which affects my eyesight and if not treated immediately can be serious. I sruggle day to day and my DLA gives me my independance, my dignity, and i am able to get by and purchase all the extra things that having a disability brings, and what able bodied people would never realise. Mr Cameron,i thought that you of all people would understand because of your late son Ivan, the hardships that disabled people have to cope with everyday, but you have turned your back. shame on you.
The way i see it is "if you take away my DLA" you should "take my disability too" as they go together..
Never have so many had to pay so much for the sins and excesses of the over rich, over-powerful and greedy individuals, appointed our leaders and self appointed entrepreneurs. It brings monetarism to an all-time low of immorality. Nazi Germany, (the Third Reich) only believed in their own superiority condemning all others as worthless members of society not worthy of support. When not stopped they went further by condemning the less able to death or worse. Whatever this people call themselves; it is not Socialism Conservatism or Liberalism it is just selfish immoral greed and complete failure to care for any other than their selves. When the strong ensure they get and keep the largest slice of the cake they are plainly nothing more than greedy thugs whatever they call their self and are in no-way superior to any.
ReplyDeleteGrenville L. Taylor
Sadly these 'reforms' have been in the pipeline for a lot longer than this government and as always all done with stealth - and as they affect a group of peoplle who are frequently not in a condition to loudly and visibly campaign they went largely un- noticed despite charities protesting and sites like Benefits and work doing a lot of good work. The press also seem to be largely ignoring the issues it will create for so many disabled people who are currently living life with dignity and will mean that for many the loss of independence will mean they cannot work or study so will be a greater burden on society as well as being in
ReplyDeletegreater pain and discomfort. This will almost certainly happen to our daughter who has a rare and misunderstood disability and DLA has helped her lead a much happier life, but she will most likely lose it, which makes her feel as though she is viewed as lying about how affected she is. We have a wonderful doctor who is wholly supportive, however government and the form checkers at the DWP appear to think they are more qualified to decide how much life is affected!
I wish you well with your cause.I wish we could open the eyes of those that are closed to people with disability's.
ReplyDeleteI am midst fight but feel I annot go on anymore,I dont have the strength,I have Fibromyalgia/ME really bad and the stress of my fight is killing me slowly but surely.I feel stripped of the little dignity I had left thanks to the likes of ATOS and the DWP.The people who work for these bodies have their eyes and ears firmly shut.I dont feel its ever going to change anytime soon,maybe too late for many of us but hopefully in time for others that are coming into the system.
Good Luck to all.
I've made my first blog post http://youre-all-in-my-head.blogspot.com/2011/01/no-choice.html for OMBH.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for this, it's been a heartbreaking read in many cases but it makes me realise once again that I'm not alone.
I posted on my blog - http://tensiletimes.blogspot.com/2011/01/one-month-before-heartbreak.html
ReplyDeleteI agree with the above comment I realise I am not alone and that helps. I fear though in reality the continued persecution of the disabled of Britain has only just started.
I hope and pray the campaign makes a difference and that we, the disabled, are not put in a position of having to "prove" we cannot work. I would swap my disability with any abled-bodied person and gladly go out to work again. I don't like living on benefits, it's hard and finiancially taxing. My DLA was taken away from me 6 years ago, it took me 3 years of battling to win it back and in the process I suffered two breakdowns and came close to committing suicide. Surely being disabled is bad enough without making us want to die because we know we aren't capable of working yet may well be forced into employment. I would work if I could work. Being disabled wasn't a life choice and this Government need to respect that fact.
ReplyDeleteI've been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome and in receipt of DLA, for which I'm very grateful. Due to my condition, finding and maintaining employment is very difficult, consequently the DLA is a vital component for the whole family. If the reform goes ahead and I'm refused the new PIP benefit, we will definitely struggle financially.
ReplyDeleteI wish you all the best in your campaign to support disabled people. Keep up the great work!
I wish to lend my support to this protest. I have had a harrowing time not only with my physical pain, but with the stygma that goes with being a "benefits claimant". There is now a growing prejudice against us as property owners begin to take a "not in my back yard" attitude towards "claimants" living next door to them. I no longer watch the news because my nerves can't stand it. It seems the government are spreading fear and hate across the country when we all need to stick together. Try as I may, no one can tell me what is going to happen (including the C.A.B. who don't know, and this is very serious because they are supposed to know in order to help us). Among the able bodied who are unemployed, this will lead to a terrible increase in crime. Surely, the thing to do is to create work for people BEFORE you take their benefits away.?
ReplyDeleteI am a 42 year old single parent with 2 children.I suffer from severe fibromyalgia which lead to me having to give up my florist shop business in May 2009.I have worked all my life.I struggle through every day in terrible pain,i've tried so many things to get better in order to get my life back but it just isnt happening.Most days i have nausea,dizziness,panic attacks and this severe pain all over my body and somehow i am still bringing up two fantastic children but am feel persecuted by this government with this threat hanging over us all the time.First they take away a huge amount from my mortgage interest help which has cost me £200 a month which as everyone knows is a massive amount of money whilst on benefits.I understand they need to sort out the people who are fiddling the system but they are causing sooooo much stress to the people who are really ill.So many people on the fibro forum i go on are getting turned down for ESA and DLA its disgusting.I'm wondering if they just want to stop helping people who are disabled altogether???Just come and live in my shoes for one day they you will find out what it is like and it is pleasant believe me.I will fight this all the way.
ReplyDeleteThankyou for all the comments I have read (how true)
ReplyDeleteI have worked all my life with very little time off through having my children, I am now 52...
my husband has worked all his life since being a young teenager even though he has battled with mobility problems from 1997 with Osteoarthritis & also from 1997 with Ulcerative Colitis & IBD... So we are not scroungers, yet we have been made to feel like just that by the way some people in the benefits sections speak to you, also by the way you have to fight to get anything for so many months before all your entitled benefits are sorted out.
We have always paid our stamp/tax, yet when we needed help the most & were having the most difficult time ever it took 2 years to get DLA sorted out through the stupid way the forms are set out etc, & god help anyone who has not got the mind to stick with it because I am mentally a strong person (you have to be when you are caring for another) but even I felt like I was going to have a breakdown when trying to deal with everything... becoming my husbands carer, having to give up work when my husband had to last year, but also do all the form filling in, dealing with all the lengthy phone calls, getting passed from pillar to post etc, all to try to keep the stress on me as my Hubby became very depressed.
My Husband would like nothing more than to have a job & bring in a wage like he used to when he was a fully skilled welder, working 12 hour shifts & overtime, working in all sorts of conditions & all for his family, with the view that hopefully one day he would just simply retire at 65... but no sadly he is only 55, lives with pain every day, since last year has been put on antidepressants 3 times as he gets so low, being a proud man he cannot stand the fact that he can no longer support me, he has even talked about suicide when he feels like a burden. I love my husband dearly, he is not a nuisance to me just to this government it seems. I keep his spirits up by hiding the way I really feel, by making sure I deal with everything to keep stress away from him, I cry in silence & I pretend I'm happy when I'm sad.
This government just want to kick the disabled now they are down, it's true what they say, the rich get richer & the poor get poorer.. Well it's time for us carers to stand up & be counted, the larger our numbers will be the louder our voice... I would like to shout out in the house of commons -
THIS IS FOR DAVID CAMERON & THE GOVERNMENT, please find a job that my husband can do from home, that does not cause him any more pain to what he already suffers, no heavy lifting please & no sudden turning etc, please make sure that he can work around visiting the toilet several times a day for 10 or 15 minutes per visit & sometimes loosing quite a lot of blood while on the loo, please allow time for him to have a sleep here & there as he gets really tired & suffers a lot of cramping stomach pain with those loo visits, & finally please understand that when he is feeling suicidal & on antidepressants his work may not quite be up to scratch,
You see Mr Cameron & the government I was brought up to be polite, so I say please if you cannot bring the work to the disabled in their own home where their many needs are met, then please forget the idea as it would be a no go.
Maybe therefore it would be a good idea to please stop wasting money in loads of other areas & stop trying to cripple the already disabled. Many Thanks
This new Con-Dem Government don't stop at taking the working class jobs from them, they attack the most needy and vulnerable in society those with disabilities. Now they are not happy at taking your money and independence from you, but they are repeating what Thatcher done by bringing our NHS to it's knees again. So we will be without money, without independence and without adequate help through NHS. We didn't even vote for this coalition!
ReplyDeletemedicals and form filling changes to ib and dla
ReplyDeleteTuesday, 8 February 2011Being disabled a different life fear of forms medicals changes in Ib and Dla
MY story begins an accident at work in june 2003 age39. Worked for the post office had an accident at work,
because of some idiot. Off sick till april 2004 post office ill health retired me as was not fit to return in the end . I was claiming industrial injuries benefit of which I have for life 25% disabled muscular skeletal damage neck shoulder down right arm lower back .Claimed incapacity benefit had about 8 medicals in 4 years either the incapacity or the industrial injuries also medical to get my pension which was unsuccesful.Medicals stopped in2007.In 2007 became very ill suspected colitus lasted 1year and half till they gave me treatment.With this came arthritus in both knees and and chronic heal pain .Musculer skeletal damage down left leg because of a fall.Suffer from long term depression anxiety and constant fatigue.
Work not possible severe back pain not able to sit comfortably without laying and heat packs.Standing to long gives me pain in feet knees and back as does walking .I get severe pain in my neck shoulder down right arm.So from the moment I get up I am in constant pain
Never new what being disabled was having worked since I left school but had to come to terms with a new way of life . Still not comfortable with it constantly in pain taking countless pills heat wraps pyhsio and exercise from pain management and having my partner as my carer .Having a car through Dla and a scooter helps immensly and gives me independence would not no how to cope without them.
What this government is doing is putting fear into people genuinly disabled and attacking the vulnerable not protecting them.I fear for the future get anxious when I see news in the newspaper or on the tv about changing the welfare state also fear that brown coloured envelope coming through the door which if filled in wrong leads to the dredid medical exam. All this pressure to those most vulnerable the genuine disabled.
Who is on our side not the government which they lead people to believe.Reforms look good on paper and add up to reducing the deficit at what cost to people who rely on benefits to live some kind of normal life and are genuine disabled people.
It makes me very angry and I live in constant fear of the future and what this government will do.
Posted by alan at 08:43 0 comments Email This BlogThis! Share to Twitter Share to Facebook Share to Google Buzz
Home
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom) Followers
Blog Archive
▼ 2011 (1)
▼ February (1)
Being disabled a different life fear of forms medi...
About Me
alan
View my complete profile
}Simple template. Powered by Blogger.
I recently saw a testimony about a spell caster of some sort in a blog I visit for relationship and marriage counselling problems and I just thought after ripped off the previous year of almost about $580, I should try it*maybe out of desperation of some sort*..and I contacted them..Atfirst everything felt dreamy and unbelievable,their consultations and solution was a little bit easy and strange and I was scared a little cos I heard read and heard lots of stories of fake spell casters and scammers ripping people off their money..I played along with a little hope and and faith and I was sent some few stuffs after everything and it worked like a miracle,everything went to a while new direction,it was and is amazing...I guess it was all good faith that made me read That particular post that faithful day..I hope they could help other people too like they did me...I did a little and I got everything I wanted and wished for*my husband,my family and my life back*their address is:odonshiraad@gmail.com
ReplyDeleteHi everybody,I had been having relationship problems with my husband,things had been moving from bad to worse and our marriage was crumbling,the love was lost.I recently saw a testimony about a spell caster of some sort in a blogI visit for relationship and marriage counselling problems and I justthought after being ripped off the previous year of almost about $580, Ishould try it*maybe out of desperation of some sort*..and I contactedthem..Atfirst everything felt dreamy and unbelievable,theirconsultations and solution was a little bit easy and strange and I wasscared a little cos I heard read and heard lots of stories of fakespell casters and scammers ripping people off their money..I playedalong with a little hope and and faith and I was sent some few stuffsafter everything and it worked like a miracle,everything went to awhile new direction,it was and is amazing...I guess it was all goodfaith that made me read That particular post that faithful day..I hopethey could help other people too like they did me...I did a little andI got everything I wanted and wished for*my husband,my family and mylife back*their address is: odonmark11(at)gmail(dot)com.
ReplyDeleteHi everybody,I had been having relationship problems with my husband,things had been moving from bad to worse and our marriage was crumbling,the love was lost.I recently saw a testimony about a spell caster of some sort in a blogI visit for relationship and marriage counselling problems and I justthought after being ripped off the previous year of almost about $580, Ishould try it*maybe out of desperation of some sort*..and I contactedthem..Atfirst everything felt dreamy and unbelievable,theirconsultations and solution was a little bit easy and strange and I wasscared a little cos I heard read and heard lots of stories of fakespell casters and scammers ripping people off their money..I playedalong with a little hope and and faith and I was sent some few stuffsafter everything and it worked like a miracle,everything went to awhile new direction,it was and is amazing...I guess it was all goodfaith that made me read That particular post that faithful day..I hopethey could help other people too like they did me...I did a little andI got everything I wanted and wished for*my husband,my family and mylife back*their address is: odonmark11(at)gmail(dot)com.
ReplyDelete