Friday, 4 February 2011

Vikki's Story

I’m an articulate 26 year old who is on DLA and I would like to write a long piece about how DLA affects my life, however I don’t have the energy to do so, so I will keep this brief.

I applied for DLA when my health deteriorated, I could of applied for it before but like so many others thought it was for people far worse off than me, after all I could walk to the toilet and make myself a sandwich, thats almost “normal” for a 16 year old isn’t it? When I did apply for DLA I was bedbound, unable to walk, at times I could move in bed and talk, at others I was paralysed. My DLA medical assessment really took all this into account... I had my reflexes tested and was asked to poke out my tongue! The decision came through as lower rate care and mobility so it went to appeal, was turned down so a tribunal was held in my blacked out bedrooms- even one of the assessors admitted they didn’t know why they were there. Since then I have been very lucky and have been on higher care and mobility and not had another tribunal but form filling every 2 years is very stressful and the energy taken by filling in the forms (with help from my Mum and CAB) spirals my health down. Last year my new consultant got involved and much to my surprise I was given an indefinite award, phew.. only turns out we will all be reassessed under new plans.

My DLA isn’t only just used on care needs, the NHS keeps turning down drugs my consultants want me on so I’m forced to buy them myself privately, and pay for admissions to a private hospital. Despite not having stepped a foot outside the door by myself for over 10 years I’m not entitled to an electric wheelchair because I can crawl on my hands and knee’s to the toilet, therefore I am trying to save what DLA isn’t taken up by medical needs to purchase a wheelchair, I already had to top up a voucher to get a reclining chair so I could sit at a table and buy some splints to give me a chance of standing.

DLA needs to stay, those who need it will be put through hell in fighting to retain it, those (very few people) who are making fraudulent claims will continue to be able to fight and play the system, the new proposals simply aren’t fair.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.